I don’t like E-Cards. (Sorry to anyone who has ever sent me one.). Not because I think it’s lazy or anything I’m mostly worried about all the spam and malware that comes with it.
I know this is scary to some people but what if I gave Hallmark Cards my whole Google address book and Calendar? What would they know? They’d know my relationships, birthday, anniversary’s well all the major events in my life along with those of my address book.
OKAY, This Is The Scary Part. (For Brands)
Don’t get too greedy or go for the over sell here. Provide a good service and everyone will want to join in because they will see how much time this will save them. Here’s how it works.
Save me a trip to the Card Store. I know they are beautiful places and the help there is always outstanding. But I always find I run out of time to go to the card shop. The stores won’t go away but there’s a certain segment like me that just can’t find the time for it.
So, here take my address book.
- 3 Weeks before any event you send me an alert for X event. You know it’s their birthday and their relationship too me.
- Show me cards only related to that. ( After a while you’ll see the kind I like to get, yum more data!) This will help you design better cards.
- Let me pick the card through your app.
- If I have other events around that time I can do them then too.
- You send me the stamped envelopes, pre-addressed ready to go back in the mail to my loved ones.
- All I have to do is Sign, write a little something. Insert a check add my personal touch. ( now offer ideas for those personal touches. )
- Go all “Apple” on the box it arrives in and that might even become a keepsake. You know Hallmark could make a great box!
Here’s another fine line you have to worry about crossing. You can’t just take the address of all the people I just gave you and start spamming them to get your new service. It will be a hard carrot to ignore by you’ll have to do it. I think people will talk about this to but they might also want to keep it a secret. They wouldn’t want to think people aren’t putting in the effort to go buy a card.
- Keep in mind they are still putting in the effort to buy a card. The creative, reading, and becoming touched by something is still happening.
- You are helping to save my time getting to the spot where that happens.
- Looks like I never forget, EVER. You’re also making it look like I care more because now I don’t EVER miss anything.
- You’re making me look more organized.
- You’re giving me back the fun part with less effort on my part.
Everyone knows you care about your family and everyone knows you’d like to do more. Why not make it so easy for them to do it. You figure out the pricing. Per card, subscription fees, postage mark up. You make my life better and I’ll give you stuff like money and my data without complaining.
I believe if companies can find a way to make my life better they’ll start wining with better customer loyalty and data to make better products.
You can read Part 1 here. It’s about grocery shopping we all love that right?