People say they have freedom in their cars. Well, you can’t text, read books, talk on your cell phone and now the latest study says even singing in the car is distracting enough that it makes it unsafe to drive. Maybe we were never really meant to drive. Sure people say they like their driving time to unwind, cool down or just relax. Honestly what the heck is relaxing about it anyway? Driving at 70 miles an hour just to keep up with everyone else and you hope everyone else is paying at least half as much attention as you are.
Yeah we can go anywhere we want. But is that freedom? Please Google save us! I’ve read more than a few blogs that people think this is taking away our freedom. If you live in an urban area and drive more than 30 minutes to work or to the store. You’ll realize what’s taking our freedom isn’t self driving cars it’s the traffic we have to sit in EVERY day.
I enjoy cars, fancy car, hot rods and custom jobs but driving is the biggest waste of time I can think of and it isn’t getting any better. Maybe you can work at home but you still have to get out and go place at some point.
So I thought I’d sit down and see if I could come up with list of how our lives will change when we really have Google self driving cars. Believe me I’m all in so sign me up NOW Google!
- Yes, Most people will have sex while riding in a Google Car theres no getting around that…
- Senior Citizen never have to get a drivers license again and will no longer lose their independence and freedom again. Plus the car will always bring them home.
- I can get a lot of extra sleep.
- Spend more time writing dumb ideas down like this on my Google Drive while Google is Driving me around.
- Watch movies.
- If your car needs maintenance it can go get it on its own.
- While you’re at work your car can run errands for you. ( Okay just think about the service industry that could rise out of something like this. My car sends a signals to a store and says it’s out front waiting for whatever it is you sent it for. )
- You’ll always have rock star parking because your car will let you off at the door. ( guess we’ll get fatter)
- If you’re sick your car can take you to the doctor.
- You’ll never need to ask a friend to take you to the airport.
- Or PAY for airport parking AGAIN.
- You could leave on a trip right after work and sleep in the car and wake up in time for that longer family visit. I would love this for visiting family in Kansas City
- Would we still even need road signs or waste money making them?
- No more speeding tickets ever.
- No more tailgaters.
- No more parking violations. Does your car even need to park? See no. 14
- The car always knows when you need to be picked up.
- Never late for a meeting again. GPS+Car knows where it’s going. It starts honking.
- Drop off and pick up the kids from school.
- Maybe Stop Lights could go away too?
- Less street lights. Less light pollution, more stars at night, more energy conserved.
- Now you can really wait till the last minute to do your grooming for the day. Maybe your whole car can look like a make-up room.
- You can finally finish reading that novel, newspaper, paperback, or magazine without killing yourself or other people.
- Less big trucks in the city as smarter smaller trucks (sst) nimbly drive and deliver their contents to merchants. ( this could mean more people to maintain more agile fleets of cars and delivery vehicles. )
- When you’re not using your car it can be loaned out to other people, maybe for a small fee.
- Your car can get its own gas, unless it’s electric.
- Your car can be the tour guide while you enjoy the view.
- No more bad teenage drivers.
- Insurance rates go down.
- No need for large parking lots
- No more Gapers BLOCK EVER, History, Nada!
- Someday when I get my silent electric #Google car I’ll get to pick what the custom engine sound will be. I choose Sebulbas Podracer.
- Cars can be road quality control inspectors. Every little bump, dip, rough patch, slick spot, tight turn can be mapped and analyzed back a home base for improvements the the next road update.
- Autopilot Google cars will mean Street View could be REAL TIME!
- Will we still need painted street lines.
- The view will be much better. No rear view mirrors, or side mirrors. Just a more open view to enjoy.
- Your car already knows where all the construction is going on and AVOIDS it. You don’t even have to think about it.
- Since your car might have a better idea where it’s going to be when it gets there, it could reserve parking spaces. That is if you still need them.
- If your car can even get stolen it can come back home on its own. It would be neat if it could report the perps too.
- Cars will go much faster than they do today.
- The elderly will never crash through storefront again.
- Maybe really spend some time with your family.
A new kind of Personal Assistant
I see this as a major game changer and really allows us to take back that last little chunk of time that eats away our days and weeks just getting around. The other thing here is the about of other technologies, services and opportunities this will open up.
Other uses for this technology. Normal, roadside farming of foods and renewable fuels. If the harvesters could be smaller and guided by GPS and Google navigation technology we could have smaller far more efficient harvesters that could cultivate and harvest the switchgrass in a simpler, faster more efficient manor? Maybe the cars could harvest their own raw materials for power?
Shipping and receiving.
I envision someday that big trucks will be a thing of the past. Well in fact they might even be more like trains. But trains would be the root of the the distribution then go to 18 wheelers ever smaller transportation devices as the deliverer get smaller and smaller. Our inner city roads and intersections are not designed for these giant 18 wheelers to to be going through town. And I certainly don’t think we need to tear up every street corner to accommodate those large trucks. But a new smaller, automated method might make things simpler and less congested.
The scary thing is this could impact a lot of jobs. Like Taxi drivers and truckers. But maybe that will mean they will become more entrepreneurial? Could they just buy the 5 or 10 cars themselves and find new ways to outsource the drudgery of driving? But it could also spring up a whole new service industry. The people that load and talk to your cars and trucks when they show up to pick up your groceries or run your errands. It might also make things more pleasant for people to take care of certain tasks in their life if all they have to do is click a checkbox off on their smartphone and their car takes care of the task. Maybe cars and trucks will have hands and arms in the future too…
Now we have the opportunity to have the second wave of mechanical personal assistance that can help make the most out of our ever increasingly cramped day. Is driving a skill we’ll even miss or need? True independence is on the way. I hope we can embrace it.